I hope you’ve all have been nice kids during the last year, because here’s a bag of links for you:
- Congrats to Thomas for getting his first book, “The Digital Sea“, published!
- AR over hyped? Most augmented reality companies not doing augmented reality? Yes, according to Forrester, but there’s some hope for the future.
- You might have heard that there’s a hidden AR mode in mobile Safari. I called BS on that, and I believe I was right – having access to the accelerometer doesn’t constitute AR capabilities.
- Did Google reveal a top secret AR application coming in Android 3.0, in a conference in Jordan, of all places? (via the excellent, but French based augmented-reality.fr)
- A bit too late with this one, but you can use it next year – prove your kids that Santa exists using augmented reality. Any one wants a similar app featuring the tooth fairy?
- While I was away, Mobilizy (Wikitude) has appointed a new CEO.
I have frequently lashed out at gimmicky usage of augmented reality in ad campaigns. However, the next campaign by German agency brand.david powered by Junaio gets only praises from me. First, it’s for a good cause – bringing the subject of domestic violence to light. It also seems to use AR very effectively:
happy new year!