First, and foremost, I owe an apology to Total Immersion which I criticized for having an invitation only event (AR-Immersion). They have kindly reminded me that their event is free of charge, unlike other similar events. Anyway, you can ask for an invitation here.
Now that this is behind us, here are other things that happened in the AR-sphere:
- Congrats to Mobilizy, makers of Wikitude for taking their first funding round.
- Augmented reality almost at the peak of inflated expectations, according to Gartner.
- And if AR is almost at the peak, is it ready for the trough of disillusionment? Chris Arkenberg covers offers some survival tactics for the fledgling industry.
- More advice come from O’Reilly Radar: “how augmented reality apps can catch on“. Skip the video, but do read the interesting comments.
- Pope Benedict goes against augmented reality, “risk of indifference towards real life” (via @sergecell)
This week’s video proves that augmented reality can be annoying at times, like a virtual fly you can shake off. Created by Michele Cirulli, this was apparently a video installation at the Live Performers Meeting this year.
Have an excellent week!